These instructions apply to fusible web which has paper on two sides, such as to Steam-A-Seam2. Think of double-sided tape! (These instructions are guidelines only, refer to your manufacturers instructions as appropriate). We have also made a youtube fusible web applique tutorial video giving instructions as well, check it out below the written instructions!
Drawing around the template
Find the side of the paper which comes off easily, and write on it “wrong side”, you can also write “Right Side” on the other side as well. Note: The paper may be “crinkly”, this is normal.
– Place the template, reversed if necessary, on the right side of the fusible web paper and draw around the template. You can use either pencil or biro. Note: That the flower does not need to be reversed, but the letter “E” is.
– Cut the fusible web roughly around the shapes. Leave about 1/4″ gap outside the drawn shapes.
– Peel off the paper on the “wrong side” of the fusible web and hand press the template shape/fusible web onto the fabric. Note how the “E” is reversed.
– Cut out the shapes accurately. Each shape will consist of 3 layers: the fabric, the sticky layer of the fusible web and the paper.
– Using an applique mat, (or a piece of non-stick cooking paper, try it first), iron the shape to the base fabric. Refer to manufacturers instructions for exact time, usually 8 seconds.